Feel Free to Send Some Love to...
Emily Hehmeyer
Peace Corps Vanuatu
P.M.B 9097
Port Vila, Efate
Republic of Vanuatu
South West Pacific

(don't forget to write religious material on the box so that people are not tempted to look inside and help themselves to goodies)

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Placement Site!

Today I received an e-mail from the Peace Corps stating that I will be in the category 4 placement site of Maewo island. It seems like this means that (at least while living on this particular island) I will be pretty far away from internet and electricity. I will update this blog when I can, but be prepared to be bombarded with information and pictures sporadically, only during the times when I do occasionally get internet. This also means that I will be taking bucket showers and swimming a lot in order to stay some sort of clean, which will definitely be a crazy experience in itself!

Speaking of swimming, after researching this island more, I found out that it is apparently the island in Vanautu that gets the most rainfall (more than 2500mm a year!); and thus, not only does it have a lot of waterfalls and lush landscapes, but it also has hot springs. And for all you yachters, come visit me at the yacht club located in Maewo's Asanvari Bay (kidding, but not really haha)!


Maewo is the red island on this map
I'm leaving in about a week and a half (January 23) and will start with a 3 month training before I move to this island. During this time I will be busy going through intensive job and language training, but I should have a little access to internet and mail so I will be keeping in touch :). Since I won't have as much internet at my placement site however, I will probably be relying heavily on snail mail, so expect some old fashioned letters from me. I would also love it if anyone replied back via snail mail!

Below is the best address in which to send me any kind of mail at the moment:

Emily Hehmeyer
Peace Corps Vanuatu
PMB 9097
Port Vila, Efate
Republic of Vanuatu
South West Pacific

If this address changes I will let you know; but this one seems like the best one to use, as I think it goes to the Peace Corps office!

No comments:

Post a Comment